The New Gods are the gods of society, technology, and globalization.
Notable New Gods Edit
- Technical Boy. In the book, personification of the Internet and computers. In the television series, god of New Technologies.
- Media, goddess of Mass Media and Pop Culture.
- Mr. World, head of the New Gods. In the book, leader of the Spooks. In the television series, personification of Globalization.
Other New Gods Edit
- Phone god
- Radio god
- In Chapter Six of the novel, Wednesday lists a number of New Gods whilst addressing the Old Gods at the House on the Rock, mentioning "gods of credit-card and freeway, of internet and telephone, of radio and hospital and television, gods of plastic and beeper and of neon."
- The American freeways are implied to be deities, though Wednesday avoids driving down them, claiming to not know which side of the war they are on.
- Technical Boy speaks with a New God during Chapter Seventeen, described as "massive" and "scalpel blades jutted from its face and its fingers" and has a "cancerous" face, implying this deity is a god of cancer.
- When Shadow arrives at Rock City in Chapter Eighteen, several additional New Gods are described, including an implied train god, appearing as a railroad baron who "had the air of one who had seen better days;" "great grey gods" who represent airplanes; and car gods who are described as a "powerful, serious-faced contingent, with blood on their black gloves and on their chrome teeth."
- Mr. Town tells Shadow in "The Beguiling Man" that he works for the gods who "gave us penicillin and streaming porn and aircraft carriers that circle the globe."
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.