|To edit the Series page, go to Media/Series.|
|“||Lucy Ricardo. I'm all sorts, Shadow. The screen is the altar. I'm the one they sacrifice to. Then till now. Golden Age to Golden Age. They sit side by side, ignore each other, and give it up to me. Now they hold a smaller screen on their lap or in the palm of their hand so they don't get bored watching the big one. Time and attention, better than lamb's blood.||”|
Media, also known as New Media, is one of the New Gods and is a personification of mass media, global content, social media, and entertainment.
Media has been around for a long time, although not as long as the Old Gods. She saw the Martian invasion in 1938 (The War of the Worlds radio drama causing panic) as the effect of mass delusions.
Significance in narrative Edit
- Main article: Media/Novel
Significance in series Edit
- Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball from I Love Lucy)
- I Love Lucy (by Shadow Moon)
- Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie from "Life on Mars?" and Ziggy Stardust)
- Marilyn Monroe (from The Seven Year Itch)
- Hannah Brown (Judy Garland from Easter Parade)
Physical appearance Edit
|“||We kind of hybridized media and fame into one character so whenever Media manifests, she manifests as a famous dead person that has contributed greatly to the artistic landscape. So we have her as David Bowie and Marilyn Monroe and Judy Garland. And the thing that surprised us about Gillian is that not only is she a wonderful mimic, she’s so willing to transform for a role. When she did Marilyn Monroe, we were gobsmacked by how dedicated she was in bringing that character to life.||”|
Media first appears as Lucy Ricardo from I Love Lucy. Media also appears as a newscaster on TV and winks at Shadow. Later, she appears as Diane from Cheers.
Powers and abilities Edit
- Transfiguration: Media has the ability to transfigure into characters from various media platforms.
- In "The Secret of Spoons," Media takes on the appearance of Lucy Ricardo from I Love Lucy
- In "Lemon Scented You," Media first appears as David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust from "Life on Mars?")
- Later in "Lemon Scented You," Media appears as Marilyn Monroe from The Seven Year Itch
- In "Come to Jesus," Media arrives at Easter's house in the form of Hannah Brown (Judy Garland) from Easter Parade
- Levitation: Media exhibits this power when she floats into the interrogation room where Shadow and Mr. Wednesday are being kept in "Lemon Scented You."
- Telekinesis: In "Lemon Scented You, Media blows a kiss to Technical Boy and it hits him hard enough in the mouth to knock out his front teeth.
|To edit the Gallery page, go to Media/Gallery.|
Note: The pictures are shown in episodic order. To see the order of the episodes, please visit the Episode guide.
Notes and trivia Edit
- In "Lemon Scented You," Media is dressed as the character from the video for David Bowie's song, "Life on Mars?" from his 1971 album Hunky Dory. Bowie's fascination with space travel evolved into the titular character from his 1972 album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
- For Season Two, the character of Media has evolved into "New Media," the goddess of global content, a cyberspace chameleon, who is also a master of manipulation..
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2017/04/american-gods-ian-mcshane-starz-contenders-emmys-1202066462/
- ↑ https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/ziggy-stardust-how-bowie-created-the-alter-ego-that-changed-rock-20160616
- ↑ https://deadline.com/2018/06/american-gods-season-2-dean-winters-mr-town-devery-jacobs-sam-black-crow-kahyun-kim-new-media-starz-neil-gaiman-1202402680/