It illustrates standards of conduct which are widely accepted among editors and is considered a standard that everyone should follow. In situations the policy does not cover, please contact an Administrator for guidance. Except for minor edits, please use the Suggestions forum to propose changes to this policy. Before editing or posting on this wiki, please review the Code of Conduct first.
Be aware that any content posted on this wiki will likely be edited at some point by other users. Everyone is working together to make the American Gods Wiki better. Please do not take offense.
This Category Guide is an official guide that will help editors learn which categories to use for an article. All articles will belong to some type of category. New categories should not be added on a whim. These are the only acceptable categories. Any other categories will be removed.
- Style Guide for the Manual of Style.
- Layout Guide for the layouts used on articles.
- Media Guide for uploading images.
- Template Guide for templates available to use.
There are two types of ways to add categories to an article.
- Go to the bottom of the article and click on the "Add category" box. Type in the correct name and hit "enter," then select "Save."
- Go to the top of the article and click on the "Edit" button. On the edit screen, on the right hand side, you'll see "Categories." Type in the correct name and hit "enter," then select "Publish."
Be careful removing categories; they were put there for a reason. Removing categories repeatedly can result in a ban on this wiki.
- To remove a category, click the "Edit" button at the top of an article. On the edit screen, on the right side, you'll see boxes with a article's categories. Click on the little trash can next to the name of the category that you wish to remove, then select "Publish."
Categories are used to group articles with similar content, thereby making it easier to connect the information gathered in the wiki. When an article has a category, it is part of that group, topic, or other specific type of classification. Every article should have at least one category attached to it.
Please note that if more than one category applies, place both.
|Characters||Category should appear on all character articles.|
|Main characters||All characters played by starring cast members|
|Recurring characters||All characters who appear in more than 2 episodes.|
|Minor characters||All characters who only appear in 1-2 episodes.|
|Old Gods||Characters who are part of the Old Gods.|
|New Gods||Characters who are part of the New Gods.|
Episodes and Seasons
|Episodes||Category should appear on all episode articles.|
|Season One||Category should appear on all articles that relate to Season One, except characters.|
|Series characters||Character Series sub-pages (i.e. Shadow Moon/Series) and Series Character pages (i.e. a character who appears in the series but not in the novels) should appear in this category.|
Chapters and Novels
|Novels||Articles related to only the novels should be in this category. Nothing from the TV series should go here.|
|Chapters||Category should appear on all Chapter articles.|
|Novel characters||Character Novel sub-pages (i.e. Shadow Moon/Novel) and Novel Character pages (i.e. a character who appears in the books but not in the series) should appear in this category.|
|Locations||Category should appear on all Location articles.|
|Events||Articles related to an event should be in this category.|
|Gallery||Category should appear on all Gallery articles.|