American Gods is a Starz series adaption of the 2001 best-selling and award-winning fantasy novel of the same name written by English author Neil Gaiman. The first season debuted on Starz on April 30, 2017. The second season debuted on Starz on March 10, 2019.
On March 29, 2021, Starz announced that the series was canceled and would not be returning for a fourth season, though the possibility of continuation through either an event series or a TV movie has not been ruled out.
Starring Ricky Whittle as Shadow Moon and Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday, “American Gods” is a one-hour drama adapted from Neil Gaiman’s best-selling novel about a war brewing between Old Gods and New Gods: the traditional gods of mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs.
- Main article: Episode Guide
- Ricky Whittle as Shadow Moon
- Crispin Glover as Mr. World
- Emily Browning as Laura Moon
- Yetide Badaki as Bilquis
- Bruce Langley as Technical Boy
- Pablo Schreiber as Mad Sweeney
- Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday
- When asked about what he was the most excited about for the upcoming television adaptation, Neil Gaiman answered three things: the relationship of Wednesday and Shadow being made flesh, the racial diversity, and the expansion of the role of the women - he always felt frustrated to not be able to explore more the thoughts of the female characters in his novel, since it was told mostly from Shadow's point of view. 
- Neil Gaiman mentionned that the making of the television series made him realize how the point of view towards immigration had changed in "roughly twenty years". When the book was released, the fact that it presented America as a huge continent inhabited by immigrants from all eras of history was not seen as contentious (people being much more bothered by things such as Bilquis' sex scene). However, before the first season was released, people encouraged the boycott of the show for its "extreme political views" towards immigration.